Ceviche de Pescado at Rinconcito Peruano Restaurant


When I first tasted the flavor explosion that is Chef Mirian Prado's ceviche de pescado over four years ago, I became an instant, worried fan. Hidden in a strip mall down an easy-to-miss road next to the Pet Smart on 188th, I panicked about the invisibility of Rinconcito Peruano from the highway. What if this goes away!?! 

Because her ceviche is perfect. White fish marinated in lime and aji limo (a hot, citrus-flavored pepper that originates in the Andes), accompanied by a pile of thinly sliced red onions, boiled and sliced sweet potatoes, hominy, and crispy corn nuts - it's basically the dish that inspired me to create EAT99.

Here's the story:

A Peruvian colleague told me about this restaurant a few months before Covid hit. It was so shockingly good-the flavors so different than anything I had ever tasted-I thought Someone needs to help get the word out! So I started taking pictures of my food and thinking of concepts and logos for a blog that would highlight all of the great tastes I loved to discover on Highway 99. But when everything shut down and I became a Zoom English teacher on survival mode, my idea faded into the background. I continued to order Mirian's food to-go throughout the pandemic, though, because her presence was as comforting to me as her food was delicious. She and her daughter, Genesis, always greeted me with a kind of friendliness and joy that made the hardships of that time seem bearable. 

In short, I am so happy to finally be writing about this restaurant--and this $22 plate of ceviche goodness.

And, well, I guess they didn't really need me to help get the word out, because not only have they survived, they've expanded. Word of their food has traveled far (I hear their Sunday brunch is a Peruvian party!) But if you didn't already know about it, then you needed me. 

Anyway, back to the food. 

What is Mirian holding in the above picture, you ask? She's showing you the Jalea Mixta ($30). Fish, prawns, calamari, scallops, and mussels fried in a perfectly crunchy batter, served with cassava, onion salsa and a green sauce I want to pour over every single thing I eat (except I'm too embarrassed to ask for more twice). I love fish and chips, but I rarely order them because they signify a slippery slope into all beloved deep fried things. But for Mirian's Jalea Mixta, I will do it. And if $30 sounds like a lot, just know that there is enough seafood here for at least two people. That's why you have friends. Here's a better look:

The mussels are my favorite, and sometimes I think about asking Mirian to fry up plate of mussels only. But then they won't be as special, so I don't know. I'm not sure what to do.

(These are the things I think about in my spare time, which beats thinking about other things, I guess.)

The amount of seafood in dishes like Arroz Con Mariscos ("Rice soaked with the flavors of squid, shrimp, octopus, and mussels with aji amarilla and panca chili," $30) or Chaufa de Mariscos (Peruvian fried rice) is a gravitational pull for me, but we absolutely must talk about Lomo Saltado. A traditional Peruvian dish with a Chinese stir-fry twist, it allows you to eat both rice AND French fries at the same time (!). Note all of the juices from the marinated steak those fries are soaking up! A starchy, juicy, meaty heaven.

We also have to discuss potatoes. Potato lovers, there's so much for you here. Take these four potato-heavy appetizers:

1) Papa a la Huancaina ($10)- yellow potatoes covered with a spicy cream and cheese sauce,

2) Papa Rellena ($10) -marinated potatoes stuffed with beef, raisins and olives, pan fried until golden,

3) Yuca Frita ($9) - Deep fried tuber potatoes,

and, my favorite, 

4) Causa Rellena ($10) - a seasoned mashed potato terrine, stuffed with meat of your choosing and topped with boiled egg and olives. This one is filled with chicken salad:

Vegetarians, they offer you variations of potatoes, Peruvian corn, plantains, rice, eggs, and veggies. 

During my most recent trip a few weeks ago, I took two well-traveled friends with me. One of them, after recovering from her initial first bites of ceviche, asked, "Why have none of us been to Peru?" Her tone was pretty accusatory, but I didn't blame her; we deserved our own disdain. Eventually we transitioned into a conversation about researching plane tickets to South America. See Machu Picchu? Yes! Unravel the secrets of the ancient world? Sure! 

After we eat, though. 

The sense of family love is huge at Rinconcito Peruano. Mirian calls her mother and father 'the two great cooks' on her Facebook page, and Genesis is always praising her mother.

It's a place filled with love and food and Peruvian flags and comfort.  

Let's take one more look at the ceviche before we get to today's homework:

Today's Homework:

Research flights to Peru and see how much you are saving by going to Rinconcito Peruano Resturant, then order more food!

Rinconcito Peruano Restaurant
18904 Hwy 99, Suite A
Lynnwood, WA 98036

425-967-5688

Sunday 10am-6pm
Monday 12pm-5pm
Tuesday- Saturday 11am-7pm

Facebook Page

Comments

  1. I've been here several times — alone — and ordered the ceviche. I adore it. Marjie's right about the portions (generous, perfect for sharing) as well as the service (so kind and helpful!). It took me several years to get here, as I was bereft when my beloved Taka Sushi closed after 16 years in this space. I'm over it now, though. Ceviche for the win!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment