Chicken Saj at M Market Halal


A student in my high school English class--whose mother bakes me full trays of Iraqi desserts on a regular basis--told me about the M Market Halal...kind of.

One day as I was enjoying one of his mother's fig cookies, I asked where I could find good Iraqi food. 

His eyes grew wide and sparkled. "The best place to get gyros is a market behind Safeway," he said. 

"Which Safeway?"

He didn't know.

"What's the place called?"

He didn't know. 

I'm happy he didn't know, because during my search, I found three other EAT99-worthy places to try.

The M Market Halal is not really visible from the highway; it's tucked away in a strip mall just north of the Safeway on 148th. 

You have to go to the back of the grocery store to find the deli (take-out only). There are eight items pictured on the menu, all of them familiar (gyros, shawarma, kebab, falafel, from $8.50 - $11.95) except for "Saj." So I ordered that. 

Saj is a grilled flatbread wrap. This one had halal chicken and just the right amount--a very modest amount--of pepperoncini, pickle, tomato, and a thin Thousand Island-type sauce (think Thousand Island, but good). The sauce gets all melty and messy (in the best way) in the grilling process. 









The moments when I reunite with a taste from one of my journeys never stops being thrilling. This wrap reminded me of the kebabs I ate throughout Turkey, called durum. And here I was, tasting it again, very near my house. 

While waiting for my saj order, three people came in to pick up orders contained in big foil trays. I had to ask. All of them were filled with a whole fish and rice advertised on a sign below the menu. Samak Mashwe, also known as "Arabian Spiced Fish" ($30) is marinated with a paste made of chili powder, coriander, onions, and garlic, then topped with lemon and grilled. When I said I wanted to try it someday, the man helping me gave me a tip. He said, "Ask for the pampano, It's a really good fish for frying" (not on any menu I saw). He told me people come all the way from Bellingham and Burien to get both of these preparations. Right then man called from Texas to make sure he could get pampano the next week when he was in town.

I took it as a sign. A week later, I pre-ordered it (at least one hour in advance required) and took it home for a mild, sweet, and buttery yet flaky, non-fishy treat, spiced just right (with the above spices it seems), and fried to perfection. The rice was buttery and perfect, too. Fish and rice, nothing more needed.


On my first trip, I was told that hopefully, next time I came in, they would have the pistachios imported from Turkey in stock. I tried the lemon (red in the picture) the first time, and luck was with me that the smaller, sweeter imported Turkish ones were in when I came for the fish. Pistachio appreciators beware. Both are delicious, but those small Turkish ones will become regular gifts for the people I love. 

Two trips, and you may have noticed the item that made my student's eyes sparkle is missing from this post. Well, trying the gyros is up to you. I'll get it next time, when I try more of what the market has to offer, like their unleavened flatbread. That will give you time to do your assignment. After a while, we can meet here again and discuss your work. 

Today's Homework:

Try the gyros!

 


M Market Halal
14920 Hwy 99 #110
Lynnwood, WA 98087
(424) 745-1180










Comments

  1. So glad to get to experience food through your brilliant writing again! I've been to this place - I worked to restore their internet, and received some free shawarma as a thank you! Very tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try the shawarma!

      Delete
    2. Now that looks like authentic shawarma! Saj is the best bread there is! On my to do list for this week. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment